Holiday Shopping Security 101
Holiday Shopping Security 101
It’s that time of the year when holiday shoppers pull out all the stops and get busy shopping. It’s also the time of year when scammers and spammers come out in full force. Social media consulting firms brace for the onslaught and begin preparing weeks or even months in advance to protect sensitive consumer data and shoppers from unscrupulous attacks. Unfortunately, many small business owners are not prepared. Here’s what you need to know about holiday shopping security:
1. Upgrade privacy settings. Take time to review all privacy settings and review new connections. Spammers are out in force trying to engage your audience. Protect clients and current connections by only allowing known entities to post messages. Be sure to keep a close on all privacy settings.
2. Show off security! Like a house with a big guard dog and alarm system, show off your security features up front. Scammers are searching for an easy target and shoppers are searching for secure sites. Deter the one and encourage the other by showing your security bad up front.
3. Offer alternative means of contact. Clients want to know there is help available should the need arise; offer clearly delineated email and toll-free phone support for all purchase transactions.
4. Broadcast your promotions. Inform and educate consumers about scams then make it easy to order direct by broadcasting all promotions. Provide examples of good versus bad practices so you are not associated with spammers or scammers.
Remember, 80 percent of online sales take place between Thanksgiving and New Years. Likewise, the majority of scams, spam and abandoned shopping carts also peak during this period. By implementing a few secure habits, it’s possible to increase check-out rates and decrease unwanted attacks at the same time.
Maximize Social Media, LLC
Copyright Maximize Social Media LLC 2011.
All Rights Reserved.
(subscribe to this newsletter)
*** Join Maximize Social Media’s Facebook Fan Page–> http://www.facebook.com/MaximizeSocialMedia
*** Follow Maximize Social Media on Twitter–> http://www.twitter.com/maximizesocial
About the author:
Mike McLaughlin is the COO & President of America’s top social media agency for medium-sized businesses, Maximize Social Media.
* As a television producer, he was a key player on several nationally televised shows and worked side by side with celebrities such as Ed Koch, Mills Lane, and Harvey Levin.
* He also used his creative talents to support Fortune 100 companies Lockheed Martin and Publix Super Markets, as a project manager of large-scale training and communications projects.
* At Maximize Social Media, Mike supervises a team of over 200 social media professionals that provide consulting and management services to businesses in more than a dozen verticals.
* Follow Maximize Social Media on Twitter: http://twitter.com/maximizesocial
* Join the Maximize Social Media Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/MaximizeSocialMedia