A Dozen Things You Didn’t Know About Facebook!
Facebook seems pretty simple but that doesn’t mean it isn’t hiding a few surprises. Often considered the secret domain of industry “insiders” and social media management professionals, these great tips and tricks are just a few of our favorite little secrets lurking around the world’s biggest social media site. Keep reading to discover a dozen things you didn’t know about Facebook including a couple of upcoming game-changers!
Whether you are out to impress your friends, shock your socially sophisticated teenager or simply trying to effectively communicate with your social media marketing team, this list of a dozen things you didn’t know about Facebook will keep you in the know! Why would we share it? Simple. We believe an informed client is a better one…besides, as a leading social media management team, the more you understand all that we can do for you, the more you are certain to love us!
So, let’s get down to business! Drum roll please…
1. Facebook shares your likes. No, we don’t mean just your immediate circle of family and friends but virtually anyone and everyone. Now, this is can be good news or bad news (very bad news!) depending upon how you are using the site. If your social media presence is professional and/or managed by a reliable social media management firm, you have little to worry about and everything to gain. This provides a veritable gold-mine of data that can be put to good use for your business. On the other hand, if you are still going it alone or using a personal profile page for your business presence…BE CAREFUL! (Better yet, upgrade your social media presence to a professionally managed agency). You are literally staking your professional reputation on nearly every “like”. Clients that disagree with your politics or religious views could quickly be turned off by a real or perceived conflict.
2 – Facebook Groups tattle-tell on you….but don’t worry, this is a big benefit! Does your business have a Facebook group? Ever wonder if the message is really getting out there? Who viewed it and who didn’t? Well, now you can find out. Every update that is published will have a complete count of views along with the user account associated with each view. Imagine any other type of marketing trying to make this claim!
3. Facebook is getting ready to take on LinkedIn! According to industry insiders, Facebook is planning to launch a Jobs Board sometime later this year. This could be a big boost towards enhancing the B2B presence – an area which is often criticized by business owners and other B2B social media sites.
4. It’s possible to add location to some Facebook page posts. You didn’t know this did you? That’s because it is only being rolled out in select locations for the time being. Page admin are allowed to add a location to posts and photographs with plans for other features to be included soon. This will be BIG…very BIG…news once fully implemented. Be sure to keep an eye out for future updates on this exciting change and remember, you heard it here first!
5. Ad Advantage coming soon! Here is another little tidbit you probably haven’t yet encountered but it is a social media marketing dream come true…Facebook is currently testing rotating advertisements. Although not ready for prime time, early insight suggests as many as ten ads will be rotated beside posts. Currently users have to refresh the page or visit a new page to see different advertisements; the rotating ads allow viewers to see more ads while on the same page.
6. Chat monitoring is getting serious. Social media sites like Facebook are increasingly being used by police and investigative professionals to capture criminals. Sometimes it is simply sharing a photo and asking the community for more information but it’s quickly becoming even more sophisticated…chat monitoring is being used to identify criminal activity. This has special implications for business owners that encounter suspect posts especially if child abuse, domestic violence or even national security issues are at stake. it’s one more reason many business owners are outsourcing their social media management to a professional firm capable of responding in an appropriate and timely manner to problematic posts or people.
7. Timeline for mobile pages? It could be closer than you think making it an imperative to get your mobile presence ready! The new format is optimized for mobile viewing and leaves little question about FB’s commitment to making mobile a significant part of their social strategy in the future.
8. Facebook now allows same-sex couple designations. Agree or disagree, Facebook has made their position quite public by supporting same sex couples in their search for recognition of meaningful relationships.
9. Facebook is creating a PAC or Political Action Committee. It appears the world’s largest social media site has more than mere marketing on its mind. Whether they are bent on eventual world domination or simply recognizing the ability to contribute to the greater social good, this will be one area everyone will want to watch.
10. Facebook allows you to target a post to a specific language. This is a terrific tool for those that do business in a variety of different global destinations as well as small business owners in diverse areas.
11. Create a compelling survey or poll. Get interactive and have some fun!
12. Last but not least, pin specific posts to the top of your profile and reposition those photographs to assure maximum impact.